Saturday, December 2, 2006

So guilty

My poor, poor little Westie. I took her to the vet yesterday to see if her marking was health related before I put her on house arrest (or should I say crate arrest). They took a urine sample and she has blood in her urine! Poor, poor baby. So, her vet is treating her for a urinary tract infection. She is going to take an atibiotic for two weeks, but if that doesn't help she may actually have bladder cancer. She has gone from 15.9 lbs to 14.5 since this time last year. I really hadn't noticed any weight loss. She eats pretty well. She's never really been a piggy or anything, but I do feed her Solid Gold dog food and an omega-3 fortified egg every day. She gobbles it up. I also give her a glucosomine (I don't think I spelled that correctly) vitamin b/c when I rescued her, her joints popped constantly and that helps prevent arthritis.
If you ever think about buying a puppy from a pet store, search "puppy mills" on the internet and read about where those cute little puppies come from. They come from horrible places where dogs, like my sweet one, live in cages their entire lives with no names, very little food, and pure neglect- and are bred over and over again until they can't produce anymore. Many people who own those mills shoot their breeder dogs when they can no longer breed, but luckily, Westie Rescue of Missouri got my sweet thing out and I adopted her.
I'm not some sort of a PETA activist, but I will never agree with the practice of puppy mills. The Lord instructed the humans to take care of the earth, animals included and that means not abusing them. Like I said, I'm not an activist, but I do believe people should not be allowed to keep 800 plus dogs in a warehouse to make money. When my sweetie was rescued, she had 2 ear infections, horrible worms that didn't clear up for 4 months they were so bad, she was grossly skinny, 7 rotten teeth that had to be removed. She'd never been on grass and she walks kind of funny from standing on a wire cage bottom her whole life. Don't even get out the hose- she is terrified of them! They used to just spray out the cages w/out taking the dogs out.
OK, enough of the horror stories- just know to think twice before you purchase a puppy at a pet store.
Also, my sweetie is living a wonderful life now. She can sit, stay, shake, roll over, and fetch. She is one happy gal! Which is partly why it's so hard for me to know when she's sick. She just won't let me know. She's one tough cookie!

No comments: