Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Another Artistic Expression I Could Never Do...

My friend sent me the story of "Brown Dress" by Alex Martin; she made a brown dress and wore it for an entire year as a commentary on consummerism. It got me thinking, though I have to admit. My first reaction was that I was kind of grossed out. I mean, one dress, one year? Seriously, my clothes tend to reflect my mood and one brown dress wouldn't cut it. I'm also thinking- the gym (gross!), weddings (yikes!), dates (probably wouldn't be getting any in the brown dress). However, the more I thought about it the more I remembered the following:
1. The first 18 years of my life were spent in a uniform- grade school was a hunter green and navy plaid skirt and high school was a navy skirt. I actually liked/didn't mind my uniform. It represented my faith and my school (I always pretty much liked school).
2. I tend to own the same things in different colors. If I like something and it fits (sometimes a problem for petites) I will buy it in different colors.
3. Even when I buy different things, they tend to look like things I already own. I have a zillion white basic fitted T's, khaki pants, and anything black.
Who am I kidding, though? It would be very, very hard for me to wear the same brown dress to everything!
Anyway, I thought it was interesting, because I'd never think to conduct this type of experiment.
Here's the full article:
http://littlebrowndress.com/brown%20dress%20archive%20home.htm

No comments: