Friday, March 23, 2007

Last Day Before Break- Give Me a Break


Ok, so we all know that teachers are not among the highest paid workers in America. Our jobs, however, do have some perks that money can't buy. The smiles of the kids, the way their faces light up when they learn something new, spring break.
Yes, remember spring break? The excitement, the better weather, and sometimes the vacations. That was spring break as a student.
Allow me to give you spring break as a teacher. Students, who otherwise speak in normal tones, shout no matter what they need to say. Energy comes bounding out their ears (really, you can feel it if you stand close to them). Giggles for no reason, escape from the mouths (when not shouting). No one can sit still, no one. Tap, tap, tap... What's that? Oh, that's the 10 kids tapping their pencils, or hands, or feet, or whatever else my angels get their hands on. Don't even get me started on the pen clicking... Not even the little Saint of my class can keep still.

Of course, this applies only to the students that are here. Many parents pull their kids out a day or two early to head South. Which, in turn, makes things hard on me, because this is an unexcused absence and any work done on these two days is a zero. So, even the kids who aren't here stress me!
Add to that the fact that we have already had an 'off' schedule this week for Junior Achievement. Thank goodness, our Kindergarten teacher's husband is volunteering for my grade. I think we would have scared off anyone else. Also, as if that weren't enough, Wednesday we had a soldier who is a nurse in Iraq come in to talk to my class(she is a member of our parish), followed by Stations of the Cross. Thursday we had 5 students out for the Regional Science Fair. We've also had the flu going around and had numerous kids out sick. Did I mention that report cards go out today? And (that's right- there's more) we had a huge storm last night and the ceiling of my classroom is leaking....
Spring Break- is it really worth it? I'm not sure, but I do know that I deserve it:)

No comments: