Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Humility

When I entered the "real world" and got my first job, I realized that grown ups spend a great deal of time commuting. After about a year of a 25 minute each way commute, I grew tired of this "wasted" time. I began listening to books on CD. Then, about a year ago, I found some language CDs at the library. I checked out the Arabic CDs and my quest to learn Arabic began. I started as a surprise for someone, but I quickly realized that the nerdy side of me really enjoyed learning a new language. Basically, the speaker asks you how to say something and you say it or repeat after he/she says it. I'm hoping to grasp enough to speak some Arabic when we go to Jordan this summer.
What was unexpected, though, is that this has taught me not only a language, but humility. You see, I'm an English teacher. I have always loved grammar, reading, writing, and spelling. Yes, that's right, I love grammar. I'm not used to being wrong when it comes to English. However, I'm so wrong when I speak Arabic! It kills me that I might be speaking incorrect grammar, something that was taboo in my house. My Granny always corrected incorrect grammar, as did my mother, as now do I. Arabic has taught me to suck it up and do my best. My goal has changed from speaking perfectly, to being understood, and it has been humbling. It's funny how life's little lessons sneak into everyday activities.

No comments: