Saturday, February 10, 2007

American Idol (well, not really!)

My throat is healing. Food still tastes oddly different than it should and Diet Coke isn't as comforting as it usually is, but my throat is healing. I'm so tired, though. I tried to run errands, but only made it to one place. My voice sounds much better, and without realizing it today, I started to sing along to a song. It still kind of hurt, so I had to stop; but, it made me remember something that one of my students said to me this year. Before I say, I need to tell you that I do not have a singing voice. At all. I try. I sing in church, and I think God is pleased, but the only time I ever sang in a mic was at school Mass in the 5th grade and it was...well...ugly/funny. Ok, back to what one of my students said-
the scene- school Mass this year I was sitting next to the row of my girls
the song- Can't remember the exact title, but I think it's "Holy is the Lord" (there's a girls' part and a boys' part. The girls' is "You are Lord of Lord, you are King of Kings, You are mighty God, Lord of everything...") It's one of my all-time favorites.

The song ends. It was the last song of Mass. I was getting my coat...
student, I'll call her "Allie"
Alli- Miss _____, you have a really good voice!
me- Wow! You really think so, Alli? I've never gotten that compliment before!
Alli- Yeah, Miss _____, you really do!
me-smiling.. thinking...... Um Allie?
Alli- yeah
me- you're deaf in one ear! (she really is!!! she was born that way;) )
Alli- thinking... yeah, but you were on my good ear!

I laughed so hard! My only compliment ever on my voice, came from a student who is deaf in one ear!:)

No comments: