Monday, February 5, 2007

Hoopa!

Sometimes people wonder how my mom raised such a mulit-cultural family, given the fact that all of her children were little towheads. Well, one way is that she exposed us to as many cultural events as she could, given our small mid-western town. In college we began eating at a newly opened Greek restaurant in our town. That year, they decided to have a "Greek night". We went and had a blast. We could sample all of the food, break plates, and dance. Each year, they have at least one and we never miss them. The nights have grown so much and on Saturday night they had almost 400 people attending. Here are some of my pictures:
Look Mom! No hands!










Traditional Greek Dancing!

complete with napkins being thrown into the air!

What would a Greek celebration be without plate breaking? I don't know who thought of that, but it is so much fun and I'm sure glad that he/she did!

Another tradition- Ouzo. I didn't take any shots- I hate licorice. Notice the women trying to do what I call the "Arab Turkey Call". I have no idea what it is really called... but it just reminds me of turkey hunters.

It was a great night and we had a blast like usual. I really want to go to Cyprus now this summer. I think I'm actually Greek...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily..that looks like lots of fun! I've always wanted to witness a greek dance :)

I've been to both Greece and Cyprus when I was younger ... and I recall having a great time. You should go and when you do, please post about your experience!

Bo said...

Iman,
Thanks for visiting! I hope that we can visit this summer; Cyprus seems so beautiful! I will definately post about the trip.

kinzi said...

Hey Bo! Can't remember where I commented last :S ditz!

The turkey call is called 'ululating' in English, in Arabic it is...whoops, double ditz, forgot!

I saw "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" in Cyprus with a theater packed with Cypriots who got the Greek jokes before subtitles...it was hilarious!

If you go to Cyprus, we hae a friend who is a pastor there, and a blogger:
www.honest2blog.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Kinzi-
Thanks for telling me what the Turkey call is. I've always wondered... Jordan is still my first pick for this summer, but I'll go where God leads me!