Thursday, February 8, 2007

Coxsackie B

Well, the title says it all- the name of the virus that I have. I thought it was strep throat, which I've only had once. However, I wasn't running a fever this time, and when I had strep, my fever was really, really high. My throat felt pretty much the same as with strep, like little men were jousting back there and their swords were piercing me each time I swallowed. I broke down Tuesday and took some Demerol that I had left over from a surgery a few years ago. I have a tiny, little pharmacy in my cabinet (Demerol, Vicadin, Phenegran, and Flexerol) The Demerol and Vicadin are both left over from having a non-cancerous tumor removed from the inside of my lip, the Phenegran, for nausea, is left over from mono three years ago, and the Flexerol I have a prescription for because I have TMJ, is a mild muscle relaxer.
Gosh, I sound like a junkie. In actuality, I have all of these left, because I'm one tough-cookie and never need all of the pain pills when I'm sick or have surgery. When I had my wisdom teeth out, I passed out a few days later from the pain and my doctor got really mad at me when he found out that I wasn't taking the pain pills. It honestly didn't hurt that bad, I thought I could handle it!
So, I knew something was wrong Tuesday, when I took two Advil for my throat and they did nothing to ease the pain. Then I took a Demerol and that helped a little, but in the middle of the night I decided to take a Vicodin. That finally helped! So, I took one more Wednesday morning and made a doctor's appt. My throat was really, really swollen by now and my doctor diagnosed me with the virus above. I'd never heard of it. She prescribed more Vicadin.
This is when the problems began. I hadn't eaten anything, because my throat hurt so bad. And the Vicadin made me start dry heaving at her office. So, I stayed there until I could drive home and then went home and ate some ice-cream and then got really nauseous and my body promptly got rid of it! Then I thought to take a Phenegran b/c that is for nausea. That stayed down for an hour, before coming back up! So, I had to call my doctor and she wanted to prescribe a.... suppository. NO WAY, JOSE! I was not going to have that. In the meantime, I tried to go to the pharmacy to fill my prescription, but starting getting sick there and had to leave before they filled it. So, I went home b/c I had 2 more pain pills left and I managed to get a graham cracker w/some peanut butter down along with a pain pill. Finally, it stayed down. Praise God! Because it was a vicious cycle- throat hurts, can't eat b/c it hurts, need pain pill, throw pain pill up b/c haven't eaten, throwing up hurts throat even more, so can't eat, and on and on.
What was the ONLY thing I could think about throughout all of this? I want my mom!:( I even called her and barely squeaked out, "Please come up." She might come up today, although now that the pain pills are staying down, I feel better. I wonder how old you have to become before you stop wanting your mom when you are sick?

2 comments:

Moey said...

thanks alot for the nice comment on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Moey,
No problem. I just thought that I should be fair and stand up for Tyra considering how generous she apparently is. Sometimes it's easy to judege someone based on a little clip from his/her life. Goodness knows, I've done and said some pretty stupid things in my life that would make me look less than dignified!
Emily